Wednesday, October 15, 2014

RIFLE RIVER - BUCKSKIN #1

RIFLE RIVER
Buckskin #1







Well this book was a surprise...in a couple of different ways. I picked this up at the library on a whim. I was rushing through on my lunch and wanted a quick, small, western. Saw a series called Buckskin, randomly picked one, glanced at the cover and saw a tough looking cowboy (not sure how I missed the half naked lady!?) and was on my way. Later, when I actually took another look at the cover it reminded me of a James Bond book - with the guy and the seductive lookin' lady. I started reading it.
It started off as a typical macho type western, where the protagonist is described as this larger than life gunslinger who is always good with the ladies and has a bit of an edge or a criminal history to him. Then, as with most good westerns, there is a scene or two that shows just how tough this guy really is. Usually it is a saloon fight or some fast gun draw...well in Buckskin's case it was to do with two saloon gals! There were some pretty rough words used, words that you do not see very much in life, or at least I don't. It was a bit of a shock. What was I reading!?
I finally noticed the small print on the front cover - his guns were hot, but his woman were hotter!
Turns out this Buckskin series is some sort of 'erotic western'! Luckily, forgive the pun, those scenes were quick (and badly written to boot) and I could get back to the story about ranching and cowpokin'. Luckily, the rest of the book was pretty good. A standard western about this Buckskin guy trying to start a new life and leave the fighting in the past. However, he is just too good hearted and ends up being drawn into a fight when some lumberjack is beating up a saloon girl. This leads to all sorts of trouble in the town and they eventually find out about his past. There are gun fights, fist fights, horse chases, and near death experiences. All the action one could want...plus more, if you are interested. It ends on a high note too, a cliffhanger kind of thing, that makes you want to rush out and get that next book.
I was surprised this 'pulp' would be so entertaining and that I plan on getting the next book out of the library asap. I just hope the librarians do not look at the cover while I'm checking it out. They might get the wrong impression of me!

RATING: READ

After doing a bit of research, I found out the author is really Mitchell Smith (Roy LeBeau being his pen name). Pen names are always strange to me.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, you're still alive out there, Bookworm!
    And still reading about those smokin' hot...guns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the guns were the best part...no, seriously they were.

      Delete