Monday, April 8, 2013

THE RACKETEER

THE RACKETEER




This was another Grisham book handed down to me by my in-laws. Yes, they like Grisham...and I do too! Which is a bonus for me since I never have to buy a Grisham book, or take a smelly old one out of the library, and I always have the newest one sitting on my shelf. So, thank you in-laws.
I'm going to start from the end of this book, since The Racketeer ends on such a high note. The entire novel comes together in the last fifty pages and that last chunk of the book you are speed reading and thinking over and over again, 'aaah, I should have guessed this would happen'. Of course, I am not going to tell you exactly what happens, but, I will say Grisham does a spectacular job of sending the reader down one road only to be veered of course to another, and finally ending up on yet another road. If you follow my directions, the story takes three turns - three unexpected turns...at least I didn't see them coming.
It starts off with a southern lawyer complaining about the prison system. Typical Grisham novel so far. This lawyer, however, is the one in prison (innocent, or so he says). He claims to have some information on a high profile murder of a Judge and will give it up if he is given a get out of jail free card. Once out of prison the plot thickens; his story changes, another murderer is found, he goes into hiding from the FBI, there is a treasure trove of millions of dollars on the line...it gets a bit complex at one point, but, by the end the entire story makes sense. You almost want to read it again, just to see how many hidden hints are given along the way.
It kind of reminded me of The Runaway Jury, when you find out at the end the extreme lenghts they went to get someone on the jury to take down the gun industry. The Racketeer is like that. Starts out simple. It appears this lawyer just wants to get out of jail. Not, get out of jail, get others out of jail, 'steal' millions of dollars, trick the FBI, save the planet, cure cancer...you get the idea that I'm trying to say the story gets big.
Overall, highly enjoyable read. If you've like other Grisham books, you'll like this one too.

RATING: READ

*My only complaint is that I read the hardcover edition. Not only is it big, bulky, and awkward, when you take the dust cover off the book is a bland grey...and easily stains when you spill tea on it. But, really can you complain about free?

If you liked this review, or Grisham books in general, I've read a couple in the last year or so, see my wonderful reviews:
1) Skipping Christmas
2) The Confession

No comments:

Post a Comment